Starting Price: £165.00Price excludes VAT
Commercial Awareness for Lawyers
This one-day course is aimed at trainee solicitors in all disciplines, who wish to develop their understanding of their clients’ businesses and the business of their law firm. The course will take you through various tools that can be used to identify the commercial environment in which your clients and law firm are operating, and to develop commercial acumen, which will help you deliver legal advice which aligns with a client’s commercial circumstances and the wider business strategy of your law firm.
- Demonstrate a better understanding of your client’s business strategy, and the challenges it faces, in a commercial context
- Improve your ability to give advice that is practical, commercial and contextualised to your client’s needs
- Demonstrate a better understanding of your law firm’s business strategy, and the challenges it faces, in a competitive environment
- Develop your understanding of the role that you play in your law firm’s business and the contribution you make to its success.
This course is suitable for trainee solicitors, who wish to develop their commercial acumen in relation to the clients they work with, and the law firm in which they work.
Please note this is not a legal knowledge programme. It is commercial knowledge and application using complementary materials and a blend of classroom activity, workshop-style discussion and group exercises to enable delegates to gain the most from the day.
- Analysis of what commercial awareness means and its importance to lawyers
- Common terminology used by commercial clients and what it means
- How businesses are organised and the functions and roles of their people
- Understanding business strategies
- Using SWOT and PEST to assess the challenges faced by your clients
- Delivering advice which reflects both the legal and commercial realities of your client’s circumstances
- Analysis of the law firm as a business, how it is managed and how it makes money
- Using SWOT and PEST to assess the challenges facing law firms.
No prior knowledge required.
Everyone attending this course must complete the preparatory exercises, in order to:-
- Satisfy the Solicitors’ Regulation Authority (SRA)’s requirement in relation to distance learning if you are taking advantage of this option; and
- Introduce certain key elements of the course in order to provide a basis for discussion on the day.
Please note that the preparation will be used as reference and discussion points during the day, facilitating group discussions and enabling you to move on to explore important concepts in greater detail. Failure to complete the exercises will, therefore, not allow you to derive maximum benefit from the training and may limit your ability to participate in group activities.
The post-coursework for this course requires you to complete a Personal Development Plan (PDP). By completing the PDP, you will reflect on the knowledge and skills developed by attending this course, and plan and record ongoing learning and development needs, as required by the SRA’s continuing competence regime.
B3 Develop and advise on relevant options, strategies and solutions
C2 Establish and maintain effective and professional relations with clients
C3 Establish and maintain effective and professional relations with other people
D3 Apply good business practice.